Thursday, April 26, 2012

What do you do?

I'd like some ideas for improving your poker game.  What have you done to improve your ITM percentage? How many of you utilize a HUD?  Have you bought someone's CD's, books, or DVD's?  Have you taken one of the many weekend poker "camps"?  What have you gotten out of these resources and which one's would you recommend to other players?  Which one's would you tell players to avoid?

I've already said that I am a fan of Annie Duke's new book.  I've also read Phil Gordon's "Little Green Book" and "Little Gold Book".  I also follow a few players on Twitter to try to get a flavor of the life of a touring poker professional.  One thing I've done to help myself advance is to write my own poker book.  Yes, you read that right.  I wrote a poker book.  I remembered reading somewhere once that one of the best ways to learn something is to teach it to someone else.  So that's what I did.  Only the person I'm trying to teach is me.  I started by keeping an account of notable events that I either witnessed or experienced while at the table.  Especially my own mistakes (some of them have appeared earlier in this blog).

What I ended up with was over 50 pages of information that I organized into a 47 page poker book covering topics from bankroll management, to hand selection, style of play and whether or not to play in the first place.  I have since added another 25 pages of tips.  I was actually surprised at how much of a difference this little exercise made.  We all have, somewhere in our heads, information that we knew cold a few years ago but have neglected as our play advanced.  Maybe we got it into our head that we didn't need the basics anymore.  Maybe we just got lazy and tried to float our way along and stopped working so hard on our game.  For whatever reason, it  pays to remind ourselves of what we once knew so well.

Who knows?  Maybe someday I'll have my chance under the bright lights.  If I get lucky, I may be able to leverage momentary fame into book sales!  Ah, a guy can dream, right?

No comments: